Thrifty Knitting & Crochet #1


When Crochet Now magazine was launched just over 6 months ago, I was delighted when Editor Hugh  Metcalf approached me to write a column called "Stash Diaries". Each month I write a small column around a specific theme, which leads nicely into something you can make with your stash. This is usually something you can make with oddments of yarn (I generally class oddments of yarn as under 25g).

I've been really surprised at what I've been able to make with small bits of left-over yarn, and I've even used my stash to raise money for Charity. So I thought I'd take this further on my blog, with a feature called "Thrifty Knitting & Crochet".


My aim is for "Thrifty Knitting & Crochet" to be an interactive process, and I know that many of you already apply this ethos to your crafting, so I'd love to hear your own thoughts and views on making your knitting and crochet activities more thrifty and ultimately more sustainable.
The sustainability aspects of crafting are already widely covered by other bloggers who talk about the impact on animals, people and the environment. So I'll round up the information available on sustainable crafting and provide links so that you can read/hear more from those individuals who have carried out a lot more research in this topic area.

For Thrifty Knitting & Crochet, here is a list of topics that I will be covering over the coming months:
Keeping on top of your stash - is your stash out of control? Then fear not, I will walk you through the process of grading and sorting your stash and reducing it down to more manageable levels, as well as giving you ideas on what to do with the yarn you no longer want to keep using my "Use it or lose it" rules as a starting point.
Using your stash - I'll start by giving you some ideas on how to use up those oddments of yarn. We'll find a use for those full balls, part balls and tiny oddments. I'll be covering both knitting and crochet, so there's no excuse not to join in. I'm intrigued to see what I can make with my part-balls and smallest oddments.
Sourcing second hand yarns - I'll suggest some great places to source second hand yarns,  where one persons discarded yarn is another person's treasure.
Reusing yarns - I haven't tried this myself, but happy to give it a whirl and test it out.
Crafting for Charity - how to use your knitting & crochet skills and stash to help others.
Supporting you local yarn shop - I'm not suggesting that "Thrifty Knitting & Crochet means that you stop buying yarn, so we'll chat about how to buy the correct amount of yarn, rather than too much or too little and buying when you need it, not in case you need it. We'll also look at other activities that many yarn shops offer in addition to selling yarn.
So if you don't want to miss out on my "Thrifty Knitting" series you can subscribe to my blog by entering your email address into the box towards the top of the right-hand column. I'll be sharing some of my simpler patterns for free, so if you subscribe you won't miss out.


I'm looking forward to getting going with my new feature, and will be back very soon with "Keeping on top of your Stash".

Happy knitting and crocheting,
Lynne x


Comments